[ RadSafe ] DU not toxicologically identical to non D-U

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:34:53 CDT 2011

Mark Sonter wrote:

> DU *must* be toxicologically identical to non D-U.

That is not consistent with the translocation graph shown in the
Gmelin Handbook of Inorganic Chemistry, 8th Edition, English
translation (Springer-Verlag, 1982), Title U -- Uranium, Supplemental
Volume A7 -- Biology, Section 3 -- Metabolism: Absorption, page 305,
Figure 3-1, "Retention and translocation of inhaled uranyl nitrate,"
from J.E. Ballou, R.A. Gies, and N.A. Wagman in BNWL-2500, Part 1, pp.
379-380 (1978.)

If I owe Bob Cherry an apology for not knowing about genotoxicity when
he made statements to federal officials on the health aspects of
uranium fume inhalation, or for getting his title wrong, then I
apologize.  I remain of the opinion that a more appropriate title
would involve a Quantico detainee number for decades followed by
"Defendant" in a medical expense loss recovery class action suit, and
I appreciate all the work the military does to defend my right to
express such opinions.

Sincerely,
James Salsman