[ RadSafe ] Long lived radionuclides, groundwater mobility

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 21:44:41 CDT 2011

Hey Radsafe and Jerry Cohen,

     From:   _jpreisig at aol.com_ (mailto:jpreisig at aol.com)     .

     I guess my original post dealt a bit about the  source term I (and
Jeanette Eng) set up for
Low Level Radioactive Waste for NJ waste generators in about 1989.   The
mobile radionuclides
listed (except Np-237???) were in this source term in some appreciable
activities.  Most of the other
Radionuclides in this source term (NJ) do not travel much or at all via the
 groundwater
flow/transport pathway.  Because they travel via groundwater, folks  like
the EPA might be
interested in offsite dose equivalent rates from these mobile
radionuclides.

    Things like Co-60 etc. do not travel much via the  groundwater pathway,
especially in the planned
100 year lifetime of an New Jersey LLRW facility.  I should note here  that
this LLRW facility was
not built in New Jersey, and I think NJ still sends its LLRW to South
Carolina...

     Me, myself, I'm not so bothered by ingestion doses  from mobile
radionuclides, especially if
they are long lived.  I expect even someone living at the
fenceline/offsite boundary of such a storage
facility might not even draw their drinking water from a water well at the
boundary.

     Funny, I did neutron spectrometry at Brookhaven  Lab (not groundwater
modelling), but people at
the southern boundary of Brookhaven National Lab did draw their drinking
water from water wells
at the south boundary.  Thus the tritium from the BNL HFBR reactor  fuel
storage pool did make
its way into their drinking water.  The situation is being remediated  now.
 This all cost some BNL
Nuclear Engineers (and other scientists) their jobs.  Ultimately the  BNL
HFBR (the High Flux
Beam Reactor and BMRR (Brookhaven Medical Research Reactor) were  closed.
Shoreham
in Long Island was closed earlier.

     Be good...

     Regards,   Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig,  PhD