[ RadSafe ] lessons learned (was: Radiography Incident)

Ahmad Al-Ani ahmadalanimail at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 4 14:29:43 CDT 2012

The lessons learned were not wrong Clayton, perhaps the root cause analysis were. The facilities were understaffed, and safety procedures were simplistic. When the NRC allowed the HDR procedures again, all the points you mentioned were enacted upon, and the pre and post treatment QA procedure was quite rigorous and redundant.

I however still do not understand why the design then did not include a radiation detector to confirm complete returning of the source to the safe. I read somewhere that the laser welding method estimated that even if you keep the wire running in and out for the three months, it would still be a small fractions of the cycles necessary to break the source off.

This is still the case with the industrial radiography devices.

Ahmad