[ RadSafe ] Anyone in Berkeley, CA on Fukushima Response Group Formation

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:07:40 CDT 2012

Here is an interesting posting by activist Carol Wolman from the
FukushimaFalloutForum Yahoo group - there is meeting of a group in
Berkeley at 2PM today - note the rhetoric about Fukushima - also note
the last line that they are forming groups like this all over the
country

2 pm on Weds August 15th, at 2550 Dana #5B (at Parker).
Home of Cecile Pineda, author of Devil's Tango, How I Learned to Fukushima.
Our purpose is to raise public awareness of the dangers from the
nuclear reactors at Fukushima Daiichi (F-D) which were damaged in the
earthquake/tsunami of March 11, 2011. Radiation that was released at
that time, that is still being released, and that would be released if
another massive earthquake, typhoon, tornado or manmade error
precipitates another explosion there- all present huge hazards to the
Bay Area and to the planet.
A few of us met with Yastel Yamada last week. He is a founder of
Skilled Veterans Corps of Fukushima (SVCF). We learned that the owner
of F-D, Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) has subcontracted to 400
different companies, with no overall project manager. TEPCO says it
can't allow the 700 elderly volunteers of SVCF to work on the
containment/cleanup because it has no hiring authority, and all the
subcontracted companies have their own employees. We learn from the
news that TEPCO is partly owned by the Mafia, the workers are
underpaid and overexposed to radiation, the work is sloppy and
inadequate, there are lots of leaks, TEPCO is less than candid with
information. Cleanup and containment are way too slow, not centrally
controlled, not done by people who are experts in this area.
Therefore, SVCF and we are advocating internationalization of F-D,
which can only happen if there is enough worldwide pressure, from
governments and from the people.
There is an active Fukushima Responders group in Sebastapol, which
meets frequently to plan public events, run a website,
http://fukushimaresponse.com/, hold workshops, lobby, etc. They are
vigiling every Friday, in support of the Japanese people, who turn out
every week by the 100,000's to protest the restarting of nuclear
plants in Japan. We will network with them, and with other FR groups
now forming around the country.