[ RadSafe ] Gundersen's Latest Push - Claims about Plutonium and New Video

Roger Helbig rwhelbig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 23:48:24 CDT 2012

Arnold Gundersen will not give up with his false claims about
plutonium and the Reactor #4 Spent Fuel Pool.  I wonder how much money
he has gotten for trips to Japan, etc. out of this clever marketing
scheme of his.  There are two Nuclear-News messages included in this -
the first is Gundersen's latest claims that Plutonium near Fukushima
is from damaged fuel rods scattered by explosions and the second is
the video that he got a station in Vermont to do.  They apparently do
work for fee in addition to being what appears to be a small PBS
station.  Their contact point sent an automatic out-of-the office
message; the interviewer is not listed as a member of their staff.

Roger Helbig

Christina MacPherson posted: "  Gundersen: I think plutonium being
reported around Fukushima is raw, unoxidized pieces of nuclear rods
that were blown out from Unit 3′s spent fuel pool  August 22nd, 2012
Regarding the recent test results that detected plutonium at 10
location"

Sources of plutonium found around Fukushima

by Christina MacPherson

 Gundersen: I think plutonium being reported around Fukushima is raw,
unoxidized pieces of nuclear rods that were blown out from Unit 3′s
spent fuel pool  August 22nd, 2012 Regarding the recent test results
that detected plutonium at 10 locations in Fukushima, Fairewinds’
Arnie Gundersen writes to ENENews:

Pu came from the damaged fuel rods, obviously. The question is whether
it was the damaged rods inside U1/2/3 reactors or whether it was the
U3 spent fuel pool. Given U1/2/3 had a containment around the cores
(even if damaged), this data leads me to continue to believe that the
U3 SFP detonation is the most likely location for the release.

When asked if the plutonium could have been transported by smoke from
the burning fuel rods inside the reactors, Gundersen replies:

Burning is oxidation, so U or Pu combines with oxygen to create U
oxide… just like Carbon combines with oxygen to make CO2…. small
micron size particles….. I think the Pu at Fuku is raw, unoxidized,
blown out, not burned

Christina MacPherson | August 23, 2012 at 3:00 am | Categories:
environment, Japan, Reference | URL: http://wp.me/phgse-7dh

http://nuclear-news.net/2012/08/23/sources-of-plutonium-found-around-fukushima/

and the video which continues the false claims about the Reactor #4
Spent Fuel Pool

 http://www.fairewinds.org/content/cctv-live-five-margaret-harrington-and-arnie-gundersen
CCTV Host Margaret Harrington and Fairewinds Energy Education’s Arnie
 Gundersen discuss the urgent need to empty spent fuel pools into dry cask
storage to pr" (note that Fairewinds now has morphed into Energy Education)

VIDEO: Lessons not learned from the Fukushima catastrophe

 by Christina MacPherson

http://www.fairewinds.org/content/cctv-live-five-margaret-harrington-and-arnie-gundersen
CCTV Host Margaret Harrington and Fairewinds Energy Education’s Arnie
Gundersen discuss the urgent need to empty spent fuel pools into dry cask
storage to prevent a serious but avoidable accident. They also discuss the
 economic cost to nuclear plants if they where forced to withstand natural
calamities, the future of Yucca Mountain, and the radiological contamination
caused by depleted uranium weapons....