[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Boy Scouts nuclear science merit badge

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:37:38 CST 2012

Corey

I have nothing useful to offer, except that I think that you would
find that they would eagerly soak up whatever info you were to impart
to them.  E.g., one does not need calculus, or even algebra, to grasp
the concept of half-life in a way that is readily applicable, all that
one really needs is the ability to multiply repetitively by 0.5.
Admittedly, a basic ability to use a scientific calculator is very
helpful, because one can work with partial half-lives, and the
ingrowth of decay products.

Please note, the crucial idea here has very broad general utility, as
in, say, half-times in pharmacokinetics, or in the clearance of dust
from the air in a ventilated room.  The earlier they start thinking
exponentially, the better for their educational and professional
progress, IMHO.

Cheers
cja