[ RadSafe ] Radioactive contamination unearthed at formerrocket test s...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Wed Dec 19 15:03:40 CST 2012

Hi,

     Well, where there are reactors, there is probably  some tritium.

     Sure radioactive decay of the tritium.  As  for dilution of the
tritium via the plume spreading in space,
surely that will happen.  Don't know what the geology of this vicinity  is.
 There is probably an
unsaturated zone on top of a saturated zone.  The plume water flow and
radionuclide transport
can probably be modeled using a computer code like Femwater-BLT, more
modern codes like
Lewater, Lewaste, that MODFLOW code the USGS likes and so-on.

    Assume the tritium is in some volume of dirt and that  the area gets
some rainfall every month.
How the tritium is leached out of its source area depends on what the
source material is like.
In Femwater-BLT the BLT stands for Breach Leach and Transport, I  think.
Femwater-BLT can probably
be run on a PC nowadays.

    You can probably do a back of the envelope calculation  of dilution via
the plume evolving, and consider
the rainfall as falling into a top dirt layer of some thickness.  I  don't
know if there is a clay rock unit
under the top dirt layer which would cause the tritium to stay in the top
dirt layer.

    Oh my, by the time I explain how to do this via a back  of the envelope
calculation, it is almost easier
to get Femwater-BLT and run the computer model to get an answer.

   Good books on hydrogeology are Freeze and Cherry and de  Marsily
(advanced).

   Take care... Joe Preisig

In a message dated 12/19/2012 3:44:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,