[ RadSafe ] BNL tritium, etc.

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Thu Feb 2 10:51:23 CST 2012

I think Dan must have used fission product tritium and may not have
corrected for 40 years of decay.  CANDU reactors separate out 2.5 kg
per year from heavy water, and classified production of tritium by the
weapons states were kg/month during the cold war.  BNL's tritium came
from heavy water moderation and not release of fission products.

If you just consider fission product tritium by power reactors the 75
kg inventory for US power reactors at equilibrium may be right.
However, reactivity control using boron at those reactors may be a
more important source of tritium

Joe

--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.