[ RadSafe ] Radiation Bio-Assay - Are or Should Methods be FDA Approved?

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Feb 29 10:21:09 CST 2012

Interesting questions...

I guess I would argue that in most cases the purpose of bioassay is for regulatory compliance , i.e., to provide assurance that regulatory limits are not exceeded.  This would be similar to the use of external dosimetry .  In both examples, when regulatory limits are far exceeded, it might be appropriate to suggest medical surveillance/intervention and at that time, further testing might fall into the FDA's purview.  I would also argue that emergency screening is done not to cure, mitigate, treat or prevent disease, but to determine if further evaluation, e.g., a medical evaluation is warranted.

Cindy Bloom