[ RadSafe ] Radiation Bio-Assay - Are or Should Methods be FDA Approved?

radbloom at comcast.net radbloom at comcast.net
Wed Feb 29 16:53:53 CST 2012

Clayton,

I agree with you regarding the confusion of the next step.  It's not clear to me that the attending physician necessarily needs to confirm the identity of radioactive material and quantify an intake; it seems likely that continued bioassay monitoring would occur by the person responsible for the radioactive material, because that person is responsible to quantify the dose.  I think clever lawyers could argue either side of the case as to whether or not FDA approval is required for any followup "medical" (but wouldn't this also be necessitated-by-regulation) bioassay , and I feel like I should do a bit of research before I do too much guessing.  :)

I would think there would be similar issues in industrial hygiene, as well as in the analyses for toxic substances.  Maybe a radiochemist or hospital-associated list member will offer their thoughts about what protocols and approvals might currently be in place in the medical setting.

Cindy Bloom