[ RadSafe ] Radiography SNAFU

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Wed Jan 18 20:25:38 CST 2012

Jan. 18

         The father had no business offering to take the camera to
the office.  The instructor (an *instructor*, mind you), had no
business allowing him to take it --- radiography truck or no
radiography truck.

         The problem is not "the lack of trained inspectors."  In
this case, the problem is one of an inspector not using his
brain.  The lurid fantasy about "anti-government sentiments" is
false, nonsensical, and self-serving.  I am probably more
anti-government than ninety percent of the participants in this list,
and I am saying the inspector who allowed this was not using his brain.

         Plus, since the son was arrested for drunk driving, didn't
this inspector smell booze on the son's breath?  Didn't he notice
anything unusual about the son's behavior?  The father was suspected
of being under the influence.  Didn't the inspector notice anything
about his breath or behavior?

         In the final analysis most things in life rest upon one's
personal moral character.  I think Bill Lipton obliquely acknowledged
this when he wrote, "Sure, the regulations are there, but they are
ineffective in the hands of radiographers such as these."

Steven Dapra

(Yes, I know --- I'm laying it on a little thick aren't I?)