[ RadSafe ] Po-210 in the news

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Jul 6 23:49:11 CDT 2012

July 6

         Link to Ely Karmon's biography at his organization.

http://www.ict.org.il/Biographies/DrElyKarmon/tabid/161/Default.aspx

         From the Jerusalem Post article linked below:

"And yet, eight years after Arafat’s death, the
Swiss scientists reported finding polonium levels
of 54 millibecquerels (mBq) and 180
millibecquerels on his belonging, considered to be high levels."

         By my reckoning, the former is 0.001
pCi, and the latter is 0.005 pCi.  If that is
correct, how can levels this low be
detected?  The error bars must be huge. . . .

         From the linked article:

"Responding to an Al Jazeera report published
Wednesday – which said that researchers at the
Institut de Radiophysique in Lausanne, Switzerland, . . . "

         This CNN article has a two sentence
quote from the director of the Institut:

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-07-04/middleeast/world_meast_switzerland-arafat-polonium_1_body-exhumed-francois-bochud-suha-arafat?_s=PM:MIDDLEEAST

         Another, longer, CNN article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/04/world/meast/switzerland-arafat-polonium/index.html?hpt=wo_c2

         Note:  this article says "mega"
becquerels per liter, and says it three
times.  The Jerusalem Post article says "milli" becquerels.

         Too much conjecture and uncertainty, too few facts.

Steven Dapra