[ RadSafe ] Radiobioassay and FDA Approval

Clayton J Bradt CJB01 at health.state.ny.us
Fri Mar 2 10:17:03 CST 2012

Stan, what's the difference between "CLIA certification" and "FDA

Clayton J. Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
Biggs Laboratory, Room D486A
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12201-0509

It is my personal opinion that the analysis of excreta material is only a
part of the dose-evaluation process.  As long as the laboratory reporting
the analytical results does not provide a dose estimate, there is no
to require FDA 'approval' should it exist.  It should be understood that
laboratory be required to participate in the appropriate
performance-evaluation programs (i.e., DOELAP, NAVLAP, Oak Ridge, etc.)
determine ability to provide an acceptable result.  I agree the laboratory
should be CLIA certified.
Most HP/MDs that provide dose estimates employ computer programs as part
the process, i.e. IMBA , DCAL, etc.  I know of no program within the FDA
that has the ability to evaluate these codes, or do I know of a program
within FDA that can issue 'approval' to an analytical laboratory to
radiobioassay work.  In fact, I know of no program in any form that
evaluates the entire dosimetric assessment process.  One can see a need.
Stan Morton
Manger, Radiobioassay Programs
GEL Laboratories