[ RadSafe ] Birds and radioactivity

Karen Street Karen_Street at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 07:52:26 CST 2012

Bjorn,

I'll be interested if you learn more, and if the authors respond. Here is some added perspective—

Moeller has run into trouble before, according to a Scientific American blogger (http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=scientific-meltdown-at-chernobyl-2009-03-24). And one of the participants in their Chernobyl study said that they ignored big variations from region to region in habitat. And Moeller manages to acquire boucoup data and write a lot, 30 articles in 2008. My guess is that all of his work is in fields where others are unlikely to run confirming experiments, because bird brain size is not of major interest to most researchers.

Science has a better track record and more respect in fields where people care a great deal about the numbers and check them extensively (physics and climate change), not so much in fields where a single person or group follows its bliss with no check from the greater community.

--
Best wishes,
Karen Street