[ RadSafe ] Safecast Geiger Counter Reference Design

Cary Renquist cary.renquist at ezag.com
Thu Mar 15 12:18:01 CDT 2012

Interesting project.
I hope that the tube is easily replaceable, because those mica windows
are easy to pop...

Safecast Geiger Counter Reference Design
http://j.mp/zZhLtE

Bunnie Huang, cracker of the Xbox and creator of the Chumby, wanted to
do something to help people in Japan following the Fukushima Daiichi
disaster. He created a reference design for a cheap, reliable, stylish
Geiger counter for everyday carry, under the auspices of Safecast, a
group that works on ongoing disaster relief in Japan. Being a consummate
hardware hacker, bunnie has documented the steps he took along the way
to create his free/open Geiger counter.

An important point readers should note about this design is that I'm not
manufacturing this Geiger counter reference design. My contribution is
limited to design IP only. Practically speaking, I'd make a terrible
Geiger counter supplier, because I don't have the credibility or history
in the industry. Instead, the design has been donated to the community,
thereby enabling International Medcom, a business that has spent decades
specialized in producing high-quality Geiger counters, to bring this to
the market. If you're interested in getting one of these, keep an eye on
their website.

Best regards,
Cary

Cary.renquist at ezag.com