[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 919, Issue 1

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:33:45 CDT 2012

Hi Dewey,

I think that it is part of the problem that we do not know about the missing support systems at some of these facilities. I often wonder if it is our responsibility to find out what is missing. I have spent a lot of the past year familiarizing myself with the systems at the Exelon plants in Illinois. Not quite as much with Calloway and the Wisconsin plants, but I have looked into those as well since they provide power to IL.

I am beginning to think that it is a good idea to conduct independent non-regulatory reviews on something like a 5 year basis. The NRC does do a very good job, but Fukushima and Tokaimura have shown that regulators don't always get it right.

Look how close, we came to an incident at Ft. Calhoun. Their NRC flood requirements were only changed in 2010 (http://pbadupws.nrc.gov/docs/ML1028/ML102800342.pdf).

For example, we know Sandia tested Nuclear Containment worthiness to aircraft (F-4 Phantom) impact. Has Japan, has the UK, has France, has China? Many of us know the US standards and what US plants have  improved since 9/11 and since TMI, US -> EA-02-026, 10CFR52.80, and NEI06-12. Fukushima showed that Japan had not moved to the same level of protections.

Who should be the ones looking at things like this, Greenpeace, ANS, NEI, RadSafe? I don't know.

Just my opinion,

Jeff