[ RadSafe ] Special issue of the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists

Stewart Farber SAFarber at optonline.net
Wed May 9 17:38:08 CDT 2012

Hello Mr. Scott,

Thanks for your extensive and thoughtful comments related to the Abstract of
the paper on LNT included in the "Bulletin of Atomic Scientists"  which was
authored by Dr. Jan Beyea and posted by Dr. Parthasarathy.  As limited
background, Dr. Beyea is a "he" and I had the pleasure to speak with him in
the fall of 1988 when he called me, somewhat irritated with my widely
published satire in the general press, and Nuclear News, and the Health
Physics Society Newsletter about the health hazards of "Strepdukakis
Anti-Nucleosis".

At the time in 1988 before the general election,  Dr. Beyea was Energy
Advisor to Gov. Mike Dukakis who was the Democratic nominee for President.
At the time,  Dr. Beyea held a senior position in the National Audubon
Society. Prior to that he had co-authored a number of papers maximizing the
potential impacts of a nuclear accident at Indian Point Nuclear Power
Station [generating capacity a bit over 2,000 MWe], located about 40 miles
north of NYCity.

Gov. Dukakis is best known in the nuclear field for refusing to cooperate in
Emergency Planning out to a 10 mile radius from Seabrook Nuclear Station.
Seabrook Station in NH is comfortably over 10 miles from MA to the South,
but there is a very small sliver of land in MA falling inside the  10 mile
radius of Seabrook to the SW. At the time,  Gov. Dukakis ordered his MA
Public Health Department not to cooperate in a final E. Plan work for
Seabrook and he essentially held a pocket-veto on the final licensing of
Seabrook. This protracted delay [at which time the utilities completing
Seabrook station could not begin to fold cost for Seabrook into the rate
base under a politically forced ban against AFDC --" Allowance for Funds
During Construction" typically allowed by FERC --Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission] added approximately $1 billion to the final cost of Seabrook,
which I presume was totally acceptable to Gov. Dukakis and those energy
advisers close to him, including Dr. Beyea.

When Dr. Beyea called me to question my qualifications as an environmental
scientist warning the public about the health hazards of "Strepdukis
Antinucleosis" as mentioned in my satire, he asked me if I was working for
the Republican Party! Reasonable question.  I told him no, that I was a
registered Independent voter, and authored my Satire about Dukakis because
as I recall having stated to Dr. Beyea that "Gov. Dukakis was a hypocrite on
his energy and environmental policies." As Camus once wrote: "There is no
fate which can not be surmounted by scorn."

I believe that good satire cuts through nonsense from anti-nuclear interests
far better than many other approaches and as additional fun is capable of
getting under the skin of people who make exaggerated or false claims  --
much to their chagrin and embarrassment.

I once wrote in one of my satires: "Scientists of the world unite, you have
nothing to loose but disdain"  :-)

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
farber at farber.info