[ RadSafe ] OT --- Alzheimers

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Wed Oct 24 23:32:57 CDT 2012

Hey Radsafe:

     Hope you all are well.

     Guess Alzheimers Disease is probably now treated  with HCl or similar
compounds.

     Perhaps in the future, we will be able to  introduduce mini-robots
into a brain to chip away at
clogging brain plaques.  Perhaps small vacuum and/or pressure tubes  could
be periodically
introduced into the brain of Advanced Alzheimers patients to remove plaque
fluids before they fully
harden and blood circulation is fully stopped.  Sound like a tough
surgery, but physicians are doing
wonderful things micro-surgically these days.  Guess I wouldn't be  much of
a surgeon with my shaky
hands.  Oh well.  What might have been???

     I wonder if a Mexican/Caribbean Medical School  would accept a former
Health Physics Society
President, even if he were older, to study medicine???  Good Luck,  KN!!!!

     Perhaps HCl compounds should be given to  Alzheimers Patients, in
unison with periodic
esoteric (non-standard) dialysis treatments to remove plaques from the
brain and/or bloodstream.

     OFF TOPIC, of course.

     Want to get some real radiation-dose, for its  positive??? health
benefits, go play on top of the
Alternating Gradient Synchrotron (AGS) concrete shielding while it is
running.  Or perhaps try to even
get near one of the RHIC (Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider) collision/beam
intersection zones
while BNL is running 200 GeV on 200 GeV (proton-proton, gold on gold,
Uranium on Uranium,etc)
beam collisions.  You'd probably have to bypass/defeat a few safety
interlocks.

     I was on the job at one facility I did some work  at way back when,
talking with a few technicians.
The facility was in operation at the time.  One technician worked  there on
a regular basis.  I won't tell
you about his health history.  Anyway while we were talking, I turned  on
my Andersson-Braun,
Snoopy, Remball or whatever neutron detector I had, and the levels during
operation were
10 mrem/hour or more, while we were sitting there and talking.  I  smiled
at the technicians, and suggested
we move to another location to talk.  A few weeks later I was making  MCNP
(Monte Carlo Neutral
Particle Program) and other shielding calculations to re-design the
radiation shielding for this
facility.  50 years of the Radiation Shielding Information Center at  Oak
Ridge National Lab --- Thank
You, RSICC!!!!!

     Want more dose daily --- go hang out on the  Thorium Beach Sands in
South Carolina and elsewhere.

     Take Care...   Joe Preisig

PS  Let's Be Careful Out There!!!!