[ RadSafe ] New study re: birth defects in Iraq

Lantzelot Mattias.Lantz at physics.uu.se
Mon Oct 29 15:25:47 CDT 2012

To me this study is as strange as the earlier ones on the same theme by
Busby, if not worse. Take a look at the error bars. I am not an expert
in statistics, but when the statistical errors are as large as (or
larger than...) the values themselves, then it is difficult to
understand how it is possible to draw any conclusions the way that they do.

Furthermore, it would be nice if anybody with knowledge about
folate-deficiency related health effects can take a close look at that
part and give a comment. It seems to be squeezed into the article rather
bluntly, and is more of an opinion than a firm conclusion based on any
of the data or the references.

As a side note, the article by Wang et al that is referred to regarding
the issue with folate-deficiency is not very convincing, they fit lines
to a set of data points that are all over the place.

It is also noteworthy that the article authors spend 1.5 pages on very
precise details with the experimental measurement method (ICPMS) but are
much less careful with how they handle the selected families for the
study. For an epidemiological case control study it may not be an error
to have a control group that is much smaller than the group of cases.
But considering the rest it raises serious doubts, at least with me.

My five cents...

Mattias Lantz

--
Mattias Lantz - Researcher