[ RadSafe ] Cancer, DNA and all that

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 13:08:19 CDT 2012

Hi Radsafe,

     Hope you all are well.

     A medical spokesperson for M.D. Anderson hospital  in (Houston???)
Texas USA said on US
National TV today that extremely significant progress will be made towards
curing various Cancers
in the next 10 years.  I guess this is based on all the new Cancer
Treatment techniques
(Gammaknife, radiation, chemotherapy, laser surgery and so on) and all the
rather new information
that is becoming available on DNA.  Specific Cancers can be targeted  using
DNA information.

    On an unrelated topic, the American Institute of Physics  (AIP) website
has a news item about
Plutonium being used for Space Power/Energy.  See their website.

    BNL's website has a news item on the Graphite Reactor  Being
decomissioned (BGRR).
So, I guess the BGRR and HFBR (High Flux Beam Reactor) have been
decomissioned.  I do not
know the status of the Brookhaven Medical Reactor.

    I guess the USA will now do most its neutron work at the  ORNL
Spallation Neutron Source, any
reactors at ORNL, Reactors at INEL, the Reactor at NIST and any university
research reactors.
The reactor(s) at Savannah River serve another purpose, I guess.

    Anyone know anything about recent BNCT (Boron Neutron  Capture Therapy)
research for brain
tumors?  Some fairly eminent people with brain tumors have died  recently,
or have taken an alternate
pathway out of life.

    Have a good weekend...  if you need to rent a  video/DVD for
entertainment, I recommend the
movie Mission To Mars.

    Regards,    Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig