[ RadSafe ] Uranium Glass

radiation radiation at noos.fr
Sat Sep 29 02:10:13 CDT 2012

To me this article was rather disappointing. There is no reference as to
who created it first and where.
Wikipedia's article on uranium glass is more explicit and in my view
more interesting.
The uranium was in the early days extracted from the pitchblende (a
mixture of U, Pb, Th and long living fission product oxides) . The name
derives from the German Pechblende (dazzling, deceiving pitch): some say
the name pitch was chosen because it is black as pitch, another story
says that in the mines of Bohemia (now Czech Republic)  at St.
Joachimsthal (today Jáchymov) there were mostly silver mines. When
digging out minerals some looked similar to the ones containing silver.
When they found out it did not contain silver, but in our case uranium,
they would say "Pech gehabt" or "we were unlucky"; indeed it dazzled and
deceived them. Which one is true? You have a free choice. Now the
American currency Dollar gets its name from the Joachimsthaler (silver)
, shortened to Thaler and with a Southerner's accent it became Dollar.

Except for some rare examples, its radioactivity it is much lower than
the one of your own (or your partner's) body.

You can recognize uranium glass without use of ultraviolet light: look
at the rim, it is beautifully fluorescent !

Enrico Sartori