[ RadSafe ] Dose conversion in beta exposure readings at Fukushima Daiichi ?

Jaro Franta jaro_10kbq at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 27 13:54:21 CDT 2013

The latest TEPCO handouts include the first I have seen that reports analysis results on tritium.

The data is NOT for the recent water leak around the H-area storage tanks, but nevertheless provides a useful indication of a typical ratio of tritium versus other nuclide activity.
In this case the ratio is about 39.2 relative to Cs137 (using 2000/51 for “North side of Unit 1-4 water intake channel”).

Taking the tank water results published earlier – 100 Bq/cc of Cs137 – and including the 15.8 depletion factor from the Cs stripping process -- the tritium activity should be about 39.2 x 15.8 x 100 = 61,960 Bq/cc.

As noted earlier, total fission product beta based on Sb125 ratio should be 242 x 71 Bq/cc = 17,202 Bq/cc.

Adding 61,960 Bq/cc tritium and 17,202 Bq/cc fission product beta yields 79,163 Bq/cc total beta – virtually identical to the “All ß” figure of 80,000 Bq/cc originally reported for the tank water.

Is it just coincidence that the numbers match ? …seems unlikely.

http://www.tepco.co.jp/en/nu/fukushima-np/f1/smp/2013/images/2tb-east_13082601-e.pdf

 Jaro