[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Medical Incident

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 11:07:21 CDT 2013

Bill

Actually, since the ascendancy of the Internet, I think that we do
hear about most of these events, and more or less in real-time, at
least as they relate to the use of *RAM* in clinical medicine.
Fortunately, the incidence of errors such as this one is very low,
even in diagnostic nuclear medicine, and trending down.  Comparable
errors in therapeutic nuclear medicine are extremely rare.

In  general, and especially in hospitals, and large group practices,
people are working very hard to cut the number of medical errors,
whether in radiology, surgery, the use of medications, etc., to the
bone (as it were).  Increasingly, hospitals have a zero-tolerance
attitude towards medical errors.  The Joint Commission gets tougher
about quality assurance every year.  Besides, most forward-looking
institutions now take pride in working to be as safe a place as
possible for patients.  A lot of this is accomplished through the use
of time-outs at the beginning of procedures, and checklists, similar
to those used by pilots.  The Magnet Nursing program of the ANA has
also, IMHO, contributes greatly to the improvement of care-giving to
patients, and particularly to reducing medical errors.

Cheers
cja