[ RadSafe ] Radioactive contamination unearthed at former rocket test site near Los Angeles - U.S. News

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 3 00:21:29 CST 2013

Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ]  Radioactive contamination unearthed at former rocket
test site near Los Angeles -  U.S. News

I started my career at LANL working on the Rover Program [Pluto was the ramjet
program] which was intended to use a nuclear reactor to power a second stage
rocket for deep space exploration.   My first test was in 1965 on Phoebus 1A
which was a 1100 MWt reactor that ran at full power for 12 minutes. The later
Phoebus 2A was designed for 5000 MWt but due to problems ran only at 4000 MWt.
The power level was cycled several times during a one hour run.  As Jerry says,
the thrust was provided by liquid hydrogen that, in one pass through the about 4
ft long core, was heated to over 4000 degrees R.  The power was provided by
coated HEU beads in graphite fuel rods.  Each rod had 19 coolant channels.  You
can imagine the materials and thermal problems from something that compact
putting out that much energy.  The mission for such a reactor was never clearly
defined and the program died in the early 1970s.  I remember on one of the test
reactors, when the poison wires were removed, only two people were allowed to
work next to the reactor because neutron reflection from more people might cause
a criticality issue.

John Ahlquist

test site near Los Angeles -  U.S. News

I believe you are referring to the "Pluto" program managed by  the Los
Alamos Lab. Pluto was a rocket powered by liquid hydrogen by running   it
through a nuclear reactor expanding its volume to provide the necessary thrust.
It worked, but I assume because it involved nuclear energy,  it was politically
unacceptable to the politicians in Washington. During the same period (the
60's), Livermore Lab was working on a nuclear powered ramjet  engine. Following
its first sucessful test, this project was also killed by  the federal
government.

 Jerry  Cohen