[ RadSafe ] Improper Application of ALARA following stabilization of Fukushima Nuclear Reactors

Mohan Doss mohan.doss at fccc.edu
Fri Mar 15 16:32:58 CDT 2013

Dear All,
      A few days ago I attended a meeting dedicated to the Japanese
people affected by the nuclear reactor accidents at Fukushima two years
ago.  Because of the steps taken immediately following the accidents
including evacuation, there were no acute effects from the radiation,
and little long-term ill effects are expected from the low dose
exposures the public received.  However, the prolonged evacuation based
on radiation safety regulations, which is still continuing for about
200,000, has resulted in severe emotional stress, and there is increased
incidence of depression, PTSD, etc.  I have also read published articles
and newspaper reports describing the evacuation stress-related deaths to
be several hundred and may be even a thousand.  It does not seem right
that following the radiation safety regulations should be resulting in
thousands of people being sick with these mental illnesses and hundreds
of deaths.  I think the reason for the radiation safety
regulation-related casualties are because of an improper application of
the ALARA principle that is part of the regulations.
     Of course we all know NRC website defines ALARA as "an acronym for
'as low as (is) reasonably achievable,' which means making every
reasonable effort to maintain exposures to ionizing radiation as far
below the dose limits as practical, consistent with the purpose for
which the licensed activity is undertaken, taking into account the state
of technology, the economics of improvements in relation to state of
technology, the economics of improvements in relation to benefits to the
public health and safety, and other societal and socioeconomic
considerations, and in relation to utilization of nuclear energy and
licensed materials in the public interest. "
    In my interpretation, the key point in this long definition is
benefit to public health, i.e. the steps for dose reduction should be
taken so long as the efforts involved and costs incurred are
commensurate with improvement to public health, and that implies, of
course, that the steps taken should not be harming public health.  Since
the emotional toll the long-term evacuation took in Chernobyl was
already known, the emotional effects should have been factored into the
ALARA considerations and calculations, balanced by the expected
reduction in cancers from the long-term evacuation based on the LNT
model.  Though it is assumed that low dose radiation increases the
cancer risk using the LNT model, the public's cancer risk could be
reduced by engaging a larger fraction of the public in regular physical
exercise through more education, facilities, incentives etc., since
exercise is known to reduce the risk of cancer by 20% or even higher.
In view of this, it appears as if we have accepted immediate definitive
depressions and related deaths in order to achieve a slightly reduced
risk of cancer (LNT model-based) far into the future.  Does not appear
to me to be a wise trade, considering the risk of cancer can be reduced
by encouragement of exercise among the public, and making other
lifestyle adjustments.  It is hard for me to imagine being in this
situation, of being evacuated and living in temporary shelters for 2+
years.  If my family were evacuated in this manner, some members of my
friends or family went through depression or died from depression, and
the radiation safety officers or other officials there told me "I am
sorry about the depressions and deaths in your family and friends,  but
look how I have saved all of you from having increased cancer risk 10
years from now", I would have fired them all right there (if I had the
power).
    I would like to know if you all agree with this assessment regarding
the misapplication of ALARA.  If this assessment is correct, we should
be ending the evacuation soon, even if it involves somewhat higher
radiation doses to some of the public, in view of the likely improvement
to their emotional health. If there is sufficient agreement among the
radiation safety professionals here that we should end the evacuation
soon based on such considerations, we can present the arguments to the
Japanese government as our collective opinion, and encourage a return to
normalcy soon in Fukushima.  If it is a collective opinion with a large
number of professionals supporting it, they might listen.  Of course it
will be difficult to end the evacuation now, since we have been telling
the public the low dose radiation is dangerous, the public has believed
us, and will undergo emotional stress in returning to their homes from
the cancer concerns.  But we can discuss how to reduce those concerns if
there is general agreement about ending the evacuation.
    Please answer the short anonymous survey at the following link soon,
as I want to get a quick pulse on the community's thoughts.  Therefore,
the survey will close on Monday, Mar 18, 2013, at 5:00 pm EDT:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7F2K3HR .  I will post the results here
shortly thereafter.  You can of course discuss the ideas here, but the
survey enables getting the pulse quickly, so we can decide whether to
proceed further along the suggested lines, or accept the status quo.
Thanks in advance for answering the survey.
    With best regards,
                                 Mohan

Mohan Doss, Ph.D., MCCPM
Medical Physicist,
Associate Professor, Diagnostic Imaging,
Fox Chase Cancer Center, R427
333 Cottman Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497.
Phone: 215 214-1707
Fax:   215 728-4755
E-mail:Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies of this email including all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and confidentiality of such information.