[ RadSafe ] Need advice Moving large Pb shield

Nielsen, Erik C. Nielsen.Erik at epa.gov
Wed Mar 6 08:49:04 CST 2013

I have used a heavy duty pallet jack with large cribbing (4"x4" timber) to build up a support for the pallet jack.  Make sure that you do NOT lift the shield legs more than 1/2" off the floor. Move slowly... By keeping it close to the ground if anything were to fail this would not be enough to tip the shield. I have also used a 2 ton hydraulic floor jack for very small movement/adjustments when you get close to the final location...a 2 ton floor jack is very maneuverable and pretty inexpensive. I have kept my personal one as I have moved from lab to lab over the years and it has proven to be quite useful.

Erik C. Nielsen
Health Physicist
USEPA, National Analytical Radiation Environmental Laboratory
540 South Morris Ave.
Montgomery, AL 36115
Phone 334-270-3475
Fax 334-270-3454

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love