[ RadSafe ] Red Sand

Cowie, Michael I michael.cowie at aramco.com
Sat Mar 23 23:51:53 CDT 2013

Abrasive Sand/grit

Also recently encountered some red coloured fine sand, it has been suggested the material is "Garnet". Activity concentration is in the order of 30Bq/g (Total activity), and have measured gamma dose rates of in excess of 3microSiverts/hr from the material. A few years ago we ceased using abrasive sands/silica for blasting/preparation ops due to health related issues (silicosis) and the replacement material is a type of black grit (a trade name I have seen is EuroGrit, but there are others). This also has slightly enhanced activity levels but only around 1Bq/g. So it came as a bit of a shock to find this material, particularly with such enhanced activity levels and associated gamma dose-rate.

Again a couple of questions:

Are the activity concentrations in the "granet" or Rad Sand typical?
Are there standards to which suppliers should adhere?

I am pretty certain that this material if shipped now would trigger alarms at ports of entry if exported.

Mike

The contents of this email, including all related responses, files and attachments transmitted with it (collectively referred to as “this Email”), are intended solely for the use of the individual/entity to whom/which they are addressed, and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. This Email may not be disclosed or forwarded to anyone else without authorization from the originator of this Email. If you have received this Email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies from your system. Please note that the views or opinions presented in this Email are those of the author and may not necessarily represent those of Saudi Aramco. The recipient should check this Email and any attachments for the presence of any viruses. Saudi Aramco accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus/error transmitted by this Email.