[ RadSafe ] Gofman on TMI and Chernobyl deaths

KARAM, PHILIP ANDREW.KARAM at nypd.org
Mon May 13 08:58:01 CDT 2013

Boy, even if you accept his numbers for population dose and accept LNT
at any level of exposure the math still doesn't work out. Using a risk
coefficient of 5% per Sv a dose of 300 rem (3 Sv) gives a 15% chance of
fatal cancer. So (if I remember how to do this, which might not be a
good assumption), instead of 333 cancers we'd have 333 x 15% = 50 fatal
cancers.

But even this is likely an over-estimate since virtually all off-site
dose to exposed individuals was so low, and since his population dose
figure is so high. It brings to mind the ICRP statement that, if the
dose to the most-exposed individual is trivial then the dose to all
individuals must be considered trivial and it's inappropriate to assume
that the collective dose will somehow have an impact. Or to use an
analogy I posted earlier, we can't throw a million one-gram rocks at
everyone in Cleveland and assume that, because the cumulative weight is
a ton, a few people will be crushed.

Andy