[ RadSafe ] A judges' criticism of John W Gofman ? Arthur R Tamplin?

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon May 13 20:51:44 CDT 2013

May 13

         This should have gone to RADSAFE.  Through an error on my
part it went elsewhere.

Steven Dapra

May 9

         Pointing out someone's errors does not constitute maligning him.

         According to his entry on Wikipedia, Gofman was an eminent
cardiologist.  Wikipedia does not specifically note that he did any
work on cholesterol or on high blood pressure.  ("The researchers
[Gofman, et al.]  described low-density and high-density lipoproteins
and their roles in metabolic disorders and coronary
disease.")  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Gofman

         No matter how good a cardiologist Gofman may have been, he
was not a health physicist and his comments and claims about that
discipline have no merit.  They are junk, and so are Tamplin's.

         Relying again on Wikipedia, Gofman claimed there would be
333 deaths as a result of low-level exposure from the Three Mile
Island accident.  As far as I know, no such deaths have ever been
reported.  (Corrections are welcome.)  He also claimed one million
malignancies from Chernobyl, and that one-half of them would be
fatal.  This claim is (of course) stupendously false.  Wikipedia does
not source these claims attributed to Gofman, however it is easy to
believe he would have made them.

         As far as publishing is concerned, Gofman's magnum opus,
"Radiation and Human Health," was published by the Sierra Club Press
--- a well-known scientific publishing house.  (Ha, ha.)  He did not
publish in the peer-reviewed journals such as Health Physics or
Radiation Research.

Steven Dapra

[edit]