[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 1301, Issue 2

THOMAS POTTER pottert at erols.com
Wed May 22 14:07:07 CDT 2013

I generally agree with the desirability of developing a questionable attitude, as discussed, but I see the problem as a little more complex. Radiation alarms are not just ignored because of the "cry wolf" phenomenon of too frequent false alarms. I n many cases,  even without frequent false alarms, all-too-human confirmation bias tends to make the alarm less believable. Everything's fine, the judgment goes, i t's got to be an instrument problem.

The problem is not just a matter of being questioning, but what one is questioning about. The questioning attitude is in these cases is misdirected toward the alarming instrument rather than understanding of the radiological state. What is needed is not just a questionable attitude, but an attitude that resists confirmation bias.  This implies a certain asymmetry in response. When our instrumentation is telling us we are OK, we should be a little skeptical. When our instrumentation is telling us we are in trouble, we should trust it implicitly until we are sure we have protected ourselves.

Thomas Potter