[ RadSafe ] Fukushima Emissions and Hypothyroidism in California Babies

Otto G. Raabe ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Mon Nov 25 15:14:29 CST 2013

November 5, 2013

This hypothyroidism presentation follows the standard anttnuclear
process: "Look for something abnormal and blame it on radiation." I
taught a university class using the book "Deadly Deceit" by Jay Gould
and  Ben Goldman (1990) that looked for abnormally undesirable
statistics in the U.S. and blamed these incidences on Chernobyl
fallout. Of course, all the things with statistics that showed
improvement were ignored.  You can expect that half of all
statistical measures (such as wild bird hatchings) might be less than
that of previous years.

I believe this use of thyroid hypothyroidism in babies uses the same
methodology. The average rate was said to be 1 in 2000 based on some
long-term average. In this  "study" the rate was apparently 1.29
cases per 2000. On the average then there was about one extra case
for each 6000 births. This may be random variation, but it is
certainly not an epidemic.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
Center for Health & the Environment
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616
E-Mail: ograabe at ucdavis.edu
Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140