[ RadSafe ] Radioactive thorium 232 and cerium found in bodies of cancer victims

Lantzelot Mattias.Lantz at physics.uu.se
Sun Oct 27 19:11:08 CDT 2013

Rizzini is indeed a nuclear physicist who is involved in experiments at
CERN. He is co-author of more than 100 articles, most of them involving
research on anti-hydrogen. But then he has other interests where he does
not seem to be too picky with the details.

I have not been able to find any publications of his claimed findings,
but in 2001 he made some remarkable statements in Corriere della Sera
(one of the largest Italian newspapers), including a claim that 1
microgram of U-238 is enough to kill a person:
http://www.ildialogo.org/campagne/noarmi/uranioCS22022001.pdf

On this link is a correction of some of Rizzini's 2001 statements by the
then General Director of CERN, Luciano Maiani:
http://archiviostorico.corriere.it/2001/aprile/14/Parlando_uranio_co_0_0104143442.shtml
Maiani states that Rizzini is not director of INFN (the Italian National
Institute of Nuclear Physics) which is claimed in the article, and that
his involvement at CERN is about 20% of his working time.
One note, it seems to be the reporters (or whatever they are in the case
of Nuclear-News...) rather than Rizzini himself that are prone on
emphasizing his affiliation with CERN, Italian physicists involved in
experiments at CERN are usually very respected among the public.

In an article from March 31, 2011, Rizzini once again claims that 1
microgram of uranium is enough to kill a person:
http://www.unionesarda.it/articoli/articolo/218558

The original posting of the text in Nuclear-News is from November 28, 2012:
http://www.envirosagainstwar.org/know/read.php?itemid=12884
It is based on a "research document" found here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-F67wRS5N7sR3hYMl9id0xkNWs/edit?pli=1

The references in the document links mainly to different newspaper
articles (most of them from Italian newspapers) or web pages, none of
them give any clues to where the claimed findings have been published.
The reason may be that the investigations were called for by a judge and
maybe are part of a court case, the details of the Italian legal system
are beyond my comprehension...

On PubMed there is one article on thorotrasts where Rizzini is a
co-author, so one would expect him to be better informed about the
radiotoxicity of uranium:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23333397
Related to it there is an arXiv article with an interesting angle:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1107.3699.pdf

Regarding Cerium: The text does not give any clues if it is natural
(stable) cerium or from a radioactive isotope that comes from fission.
For being a "Rare" Earth Metal, Cerium is quite common.

Best wishes,
Mattias Lantz

--
Mattias Lantz - Researcher