[ RadSafe ] CNSC Cancer Study Published in Journal of Environmental Protection

ROY HERREN royherren2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 3 18:29:39 CDT 2013

http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/mediacentre/releases/news_release.cfm?news_release_id=472

News Releases
CNSC Cancer Study Published in Journal of Environmental Protection
13-29
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 3, 2013
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is pleased to announce that itsRadiation and Incidence of Cancer around Ontario Nuclear Power Plants from 1990 to 2008 study (the RADICON study) has been peer-reviewed and published in the prestigious Journal of Environmental Protection.
The RADICON study looked at populations living near Ontario’s three nuclear power plants (NPPs) and found no evidence of childhood leukemia clusters in the communities within 25 km of the Pickering, Darlington and Bruce NPPs. The study was conducted using data from the Canadian and Ontario Cancer Registries and the Census of Canada. The CNSC had released a summary of the study in May 2013.
“Peer review is an essential quality control step in any research project,” said Dr. Patsy Thompson, director general and one of the journal article authors. “We are pleased that our work has been recognized for being scientifically sound. It gives us added confidence in our findings.”
The study also confirms that public radiation doses from Ontario NPPs are extremely low: 100 to 1,000 times below natural background radiation. In Canada, average background radiation is 1.8 millisieverts per year.
The technical article entitled “Radiation Exposure and Cancer Incidence (1990 to 2008) Around Nuclear Power Plants in Ontario, Canada” is available on the Journal of Environmental Protection Web site. The RADICON summary is available on the CNSC’s Web site, nuclearsafety.gc.ca
The CNSC regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment, and to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
Contact:
Aurèle Gervais Media and Community Relations Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission 613-996-6860 1-800-668-5284 mediarelations at cnsc-ccsn.gc.ca