[ RadSafe ] (no subject)

John Ahlquist john.ahlquist at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 24 14:16:11 CDT 2013

Radsafe:

The link below might answer the questions on Arctic ice.  It has the average of 30 years of data and throws in 2012 and 2013 to date.

http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/N_stddev_timeseries.png

John Ahlquist
====================

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:23:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: JPreisig at aol.com
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Arctic Ice
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu

Radsafe:

    Of course.  In terms of Earth orientation  (with respect to the Sun)
1998 was a polar motion amplitude high (strongly  dipping towards the Sun),
while 2020 will be like 1976 (rather low polar motion  amplitude).  I've
asked Chopo Ma (NASA Goddard) to plot the polar motion  amplitude with respect
to time and/or Arctic/Antarctic Sea Ice percentage, and  we'll see if such a
data plot will show up one day soon.  A good data plot  (with good fitting)
should give some resolution to this question NOW.

    The VLBI earth orientation data are available from NASA  Goddard's Very
Long Baseline Interferometry website, and someone else at NASA  has the
Arctic/Antarctic ice percentage data.  Someone with a few weeks  available (at
Sandia, Los Alamos or elsewhere) could do the World a service by  doing this
calculation.  Good books on Earth Orientation are Munk and  MacDonald,
Lambeck I and Lambeck II (Space Geodesy).  This stuff isn't  simple though.  Get
Cranking???

    Joe Preisig

In a message dated 9/23/2013 10:05:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,