[ RadSafe ] New Book - "Atomic Accidents..."

William Lipton doctorbill34 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 14:55:17 CST 2014

I just finished a new book, which I highly recommend:  "Atomic Accidents -
A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters:  From the Ozark Mountains to
Fukushima."  It's available on Kindle.

Many of you will probably flame me with knee jerk responses.  Go ahead, but
then be sure to read the book.  It's not biased, is written by a
technically competent engineer, and is well researched.  It contains many
fascinating details.  For example, TMI 2 was originally scheduled as Oyster
Creek 2.  However, the corrupt business environment in NJ (A mafia
representative demanded 1% of the construction budget to "protect" the
construction from sabotage.) convinced Jersey Central Power and Light to
sell the unit to Met Ed.  The book also details many incidents involving
weapons.  I have long stated that the key to a successful nuclear power
program is not whether LNT is valid, but whether we can be trusted to
safely manage the technology.  We have a long way to go.

I'd be interested in comments from those who actually read the book.
 Remember, denial is NOT a river in Egypt.

Bill Lipton
It's not about dose, it's about trust.