[ RadSafe ] Airlines diverting polar flights due solar storm

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Thu Jan 9 12:36:13 CST 2014

Hi, Joseph,

At the time, Radsafers made me aware that it was under-reporting, I
should have mentioned that, sorry.

I do not know if there was any GLE activity at the time of the flight.
The date and time are there if there is a database of such things.

It was surprising how much more the meter measured at cruising
altitude--makes me happy we have the atmosphere that we do! While I used
to fly one to two trips a month, I no longer do that, but this is not
one of the reasons why--I did not find this alarming, just interesting.

I rejoined RadSafe to feel reassured that I was "misinterpreting" the
news as waaay over the top. Thanks--people who understand this stuff
(unlike me, who doesn't understand it in depth) are saying it's bunk, too!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada           http://www.richardhess.com/