[ RadSafe ] hand held meters

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Tue Jan 14 14:18:58 CST 2014

radsafers

We're looking for practical experience on using hand held monitors in an
outdoor setting.

The background gamma dose rates in the area are about 0.02 mR/hr.
The expected change that we want to see is from about 0.02 mR/hr to 0.04
mR/hr.
So the dose rate goes from about 0.02 mR/hr to 0.04 - 0.06 mR/hr. (two x
background to 3 x background)

The questions are:
(1) what kind of hand held monitor would be good to see this change (e.g.,
PIC, GM tube, scintillation detector, etc.)?
(2) since this is outdoors, how long should the surveyor wait for the
readings to stabilize after a random spike?.

I asked a similar question earlier,  and the consensus seemed to be that
making these measurements with a hand held monitor was problematic. My
personal experience in this area is very limited, but it seems like the
spikes could reach about 0.01 mR/hr and lasted several seconds.

thanx in advance  - -jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768