[ RadSafe ] Sellafield

Strickert, Rick (Consultant) rstrickert at signaturescience.com
Fri Jan 31 09:16:54 CST 2014

According to http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/sellafield-shut-to-day-workers-1.1113620 :

"A radiation alert at Sellafield that forced the company to tell non-essential staff to stay at home was not caused by 'a nuclear event'. The elevated radioactive activity detected this morning by a perimeter monitor was caused by naturally-occurring background radon.  Standard weekend working operations will continue, with day staff due back in on Monday as normal, says the firm.  A company statement this afternoon said: 'Our in-air monitors are extremely sensitive and pick up on any abnormality. Overnight the monitoring system initially indicated elevated levels of activity. Following investigation and analysis, we can now confirm these levels to be naturally occurring background radon.'"

Rick