[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Ra-226 Activity in Vintage Compass

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 16:37:03 CDT 2014

Roy et al.

I'll second that, but expand on it a bit, by your leave.  Ra-226 is
very close to a pure alpha-emitter.  There is the 186 keV gamma, at 4%
abundance, and some diddley x-rays at < 1% each, but that is about it.
So, essentially all of the gammas, that make radium such a notorious
photon-emitter, originate with the Rn daughters.

If you put an air-tight seal on the device, it is safe to assume that
the Rn progeny will ingrow with a half-time of ~ 4 d.  It's really
just the inverse of radioactive decay.  After one half-time, you have
50% ingrowth, at 2 x 4 d, you have 75% ingrowth, 3 x 4 d = 87.5%
ingrowth, etc.  (Here, I invite the slings and arrows.)

Please keep us posted.

Best
cja