[ RadSafe ] EPA to make radiation standards more protective?

Maury maurysis at peoplepc.com
Thu Jul 31 23:21:35 CDT 2014

I just wonder if folks on Radsafe are aware of this pending EPA increase
in radiation restriction/regulation? Is this really what is needed ...
more regulation? The following is an extract from posting by: Nuclear
Information and Resource Service. Time is short but I wondered if anyone
might wish to submit comments to EPA. .
Best,
Maury&Dog (MaurySiskel maurysis at peoplepc.com)

"Tell EPA to make radiation standards more protective
Send additional comments to EPA now: deadline is Sunday, August 3
July 31, 2014

Dear Friends,

The Environmental Protection Agency's Radiation Standards for the
Nuclear Power Fuel Chain are so important that NIRS invites you to make
a supplementary comment before the August 3 comment deadline. You can
edit the comment we provide; as written it supports a longer document
submitted by NIRS and many allied organizations. Offering the same
points from many individuals underscores the importance of these points:

Nuclear power operations that release radioactivity have been given an
enormous “free pass” to expose communities (and the biosphere) to levels
of radiation that are too high. When converted to RISK of cancer, the
current regulation allows harm 2000 times higher than the EPA’s stated
goal of allowing only 1 cancer in a million from licensed activities.
Even using EPA’s more lax allowable risk level of 1 in 10,000 current
EPA radiation regulations allow 20 times higher than that....."