[ RadSafe ] sources available

Kitto, Michael (HEALTH) michael.kitto at health.ny.gov
Wed Oct 15 07:51:41 CDT 2014

Below is a list of rad items that our RSO wants to discard.  If you can use any of these and have the proper RAM, let me know.  I can send a photo of any that you are interested in.  Probable ID and activities are provided.  If you have additional info regarding any of the sources, please forward that info to me.  Thanks - michael.kitto at health.ny.gov

1.	Numinco Radium test source.   Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Calculated activity is 115 microcuries.

2.	Luminescent marker with clip labeled as poison.  Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Calculated activity is 346 microcuries.

3.	Very small needle in glass vial.  20 microR/hr on contact.  Could not identify with MCA.

4.	U.S. Radium luminescent device (glass surface - yellowish compound).  36 microR/hr on contact.  Could not identify with MCA - likely strontium 90.

5.	Red disk with label "3800".  Could not identify with MCA and was indistinguishable from background with pressurized ion chamber.  Likely an alpha source.

6.	Red disk labeled "Radiation Detection Instruments 1 microgram radium 226".  Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Calculated activity is 1 microcurie.

7.	Metal strip with hole and attached tag that states "Should read 9 on the 20 scale".  Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Calculated activity is 2.2 microcuries.

8.	Wrapped and taped object labeled as radium.  Identified as radium 226 with MCA. Calculated activity is 10 microcuries.

9.	Alpha and beta needle sources.  Could not identify with MCA and indistinguishable from background.

10.	Plastic vial with small piece metal.  Identified as americium 241 with MCA.  Calculated activity is 0.02 microcuries.

11.	Glass apparatus. Identified as cesium 134 and cesium 137 with MCA.  Insufficient exposure rate to calculate activity.

12.	Broken glass flask well wrapped up.  Identified as radium 226 with MCA. Insufficient exposure rate to calculate activity.

13.	Compass.  Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Calculated activity 612 microcuries.

14.	2 Needles labeled as Po-210, Bi-201 and Po-210.  Could not identify with an MCA and indistinguishable from background.

15.	RedCo minigenerator.  Identified as cesium 137 with MCA.  Calculated activity 2 microcuries.

16.	6 tins labeled as U-238 / 10 day water standard.  3 of the 6 tins were identified as uranium 238.  Insufficient exposure rate to calculate activity.

17.	Pipe with ends capped.  Identified as radium 226 with MCA.  Activity estimated to be 328 microcuries factoring attenuation of the pipe.