[ RadSafe ] Question about enhanced traffic on Chernobyl and Fukushima accidents

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Aug 4 16:27:25 CDT 2015

RADSAFErs,
I notice since some time, that both on RADSAFE and in almost all Austrian newspapers there is a hectical activity about stories on both the Chernobyl and Fukushima accident. Well, the anniversary of the dropping of the bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki is approaching and journalists take this rare opportunity to present themselves as the ultimate authorities in the science of nuclear bombs, politics not only about the second world war, but also everything regarding nuclear weapons from the “birth” of the Manhattan project to North Korea. It seems to me that this is a well known strategy of antinukes to put the devastating effects of nuclear bombs very close and in relation to nuclear power e.g.
”hundreds of thousand people have been killed by the bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki” vs “this is what we face from nuclear power” neglecting that the victims of Fukushima were to (I suppose) more than 99% caused by the Tsunami, drowning in the floods, smashed by collapsing buildings, drowning in cars or otherwise killed by debris. Now since some of the very few members of the antis have obviousily discovered that the above said is true they changed their strategy. Now they put forward the psychical stress that harms the evacuated persons – it is without doubt true that evacuation from ones usual environment might cause psychical stress. What about all the many tens of thousands of refugees flooding into Europe from the near East (Syria, Turkey, Iraq... even Somalia and Ethiopia)? Europe has at the moment a big problem, because there is such an ever rising number of people applying for asylum, Austria as a very small country is not able to accomodate all of them, not to talk about the problem to distinguish between people really being politically endangered or those who just want to earn more and have a live which is broadcast on TV, including a Mercedes or a BMW. (You might not believe it, but most African countries have TV and mobile phones......) This question is almost dividing the country on a basis of almost racial grounds.

Enough said: All the sometimes hateful, but mostly unfounded, lacking any connection to reality mailings should be disregarded. It is a waste of time to try to discuss – my favorite comment is

“I have made up my mind, don’t disturb me with facts”!

I have a second request: I have at least two times asked the RADSAFE community about information about psychological if not psychiatric research on those militant “antinuclear activists”. I have not received any information yet.
“Second Call!!!!”

Best wishes from an unusual hot Vienna. Up to 38 degrees Celsius – what else – Fahrenheit are not only outdated, but even banned.  No prove for global warming – a few weeks ago we had very low temperatures, but the rest of August seems to become even hotter. I do not want to disturb the global-warming commity – during night we have temperatures in the lower twenties.

Best wishes to everybody!

Franz