[ RadSafe ] 10CFR20 question

Carol Marcus csmarcus at ucla.edu
Wed Jan 21 17:16:12 CST 2015

Dear Gretchen:

My understanding is that it works like a body badge.  If you could
reasonably expect to get more than 10% of the 5 rem limit, NRC requires
a body badge.  Many institutions require a badge for everyone in order
to protect themselves in the event of a lawsuit, but NRC doesn't require
this.  If your activity could reasonably result in an extremity dose
greater than 10% of the extremity limit, then you need an extremity
badge.  Technologists who inject radiopharmaceutical doses, nuclear
pharmacists, and nuclear pharmacy techs are examples of people who
commonly wear extremity badges (finger rings).  It is often a judgment
call by the RSO.

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
Prof. of Radiation Oncology, of Nuclear Medicine, and of Radiological
Sciences
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA