[ RadSafe ] Mohan Doss's comment on the BMJ article in RadSafe Digest Vol. 1950, issue 1

Doss, Mohan Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:18:13 CST 2015

Dear Peter,
    When there is a fundamental error in the design of a study, it would be right to reject the study. As an example: If a scientist is attempting to measure the effect of plant growth as a function of watering frequency (daily, once in 2 days, once in 3 days, etc.), and conducts the study outdoors in different seasons, different areas, etc., and ignores the rain that would be occurring at different rates, the study would be deeply flawed. One would not place any trust in the results from such a study. You may say it is a matter of opinion to reject such a study, but I would say it is a matter of logic, not a matter of opinion. It is a simple but major error. Neglecting medical radiation dose is such an error in the INWORKS study.
   We should use models when we do not have data. When we have data, the data should be used. There is plenty of data that show reduction of cancers following low-dose radiation exposure.  Of course there are lots of publications showing support for the LNT model. However, such publications are found to have major flaws making their conclusions not trustworthy. If we are gullible and accept all such publications at face value without analyzing the validity of the publications, we would be unable to decide which is the correct side.
    Re: Chernobyl question - it is on my list, but there are more important issues to address at present. Hence the delay. But I will address it sometime.
    With best regards,
                                              Mohan