[ RadSafe ] Marcus/Miller/Doss Hormesis Petitions to NRC

Doss, Mohan Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu
Fri Oct 9 10:32:01 CDT 2015

Dear Bill,
   We are limited to epidemiological studies since ALARA has prevented prospective studies of low-dose radiation health effects. I notice the tagline in your signature "ALARA Forever". ALARA is anti-science, as it prevented prospective study of competing hypotheses to be able to reject the invalid hypothesis, when radiation hypothesis was proposed in 1980, and the LNT hypothesis was already being used.  The LNT hypothesis has survived this long because of this anti-scientific policy adopted by regulatory agencies following recommendations of advisory bodies. In the absence of ALARA, the very first prospective studies of low-dose radiation cancer effects would have resulted in the rejection of the LNT model hypothesis outright.
   If low-dose radiation exposure was followed by reduced cancers in one epidemiological study, and if someone made the claim that this showed evidence for radiation hormesis, you would be justified in your criticism that there is only association, not a causal effect. However, when we observe the same result again and again in many different studies, there can indeed be a conclusion of cause and effect.
   You said you are not able to critically review these studies. I have reviewed many of these studies, and the effects observed are large, and small errors would not negate the conclusions of these studies.
   You said " With the right selection of data, you can show an association between just about anything you want". Please show me one dataset that shows increased cancers associated with low-dose radiation. Many scientists and publications have made such claims. But such publications have a pathetic record, with major faults being identified nullifying their conclusions.  Such publications keep getting cited by those supporting the LNT model.
    At the low-dose radiation symposium held during the Health Physics Society Annual Meeting last July, near the end of my presentation, after having displayed over twenty datasets showing evidence for radiation hormesis, I challenged the audience to point me to a single dataset that shows conclusive evidence for increased cancers from low-dose radiation, and no one responded to my challenge. The audience included top officials from NRC, ICRP, etc. If, after more than 60 years of intense study in this area, there is not even a single piece of definitive evidence for low-dose radiation induced cancer risk that the LNT model supporters can point to, I would conclude there is no cancer risk from low-dose radiation. The LNT model is dead. The sooner everyone realizes this, accepts it, and bases actions on the evidence observed, the better it would be for the public.
    With best regards,
                                                Mohan