[ RadSafe ] Z-Backscatter technology

Bradt, Clayton (HEALTH) clayton.bradt at health.ny.gov
Thu Oct 22 10:13:39 CDT 2015

https://bgr.com/2015/10/16/nypd-x-ray-spy-vans/

Does anyone know how I might get ahold of technical information on the Z-Backscatter technology as used for example by the AE&S vans mentioned in the above article? I am especially curious as to how the image of the contents of a vehicle is not obscured by backscatter off of the sides of the van and of the vehicle being scanned. Both the beam and scattered x-rays must pass through both vehicles on the way out and back. Also I'm curious about the density information presented in the images of people within a trailer. They appear to show the individuals lungs as dark regions within the thoracic cavities. I would not expect this from a backscatter image.

Clayton Bradt
Principal Radiophysicist
NYS Dept. of Health
518-474-1993