[ RadSafe ] Z-backscatter technology

Bradt, Clayton (HEALTH) clayton.bradt at health.ny.gov
Wed Oct 28 12:17:39 CDT 2015

John, thanks. I am familiar with these dose estimates and assume that they are accurate.  But the information I want is two-fold: 1) How is the technology able to both penetrate the scanned vehicle and produce a backscatter image of what is inside? (And apparently what is inside of who is inside!) , and 2) What is the legal basis for allowing cops to apply ionizing radiation to humans.  Whether or not there is a health risk from this specific technology - which apparently there isn't - the law provides no way to approve the practice.

Clayton Bradt

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Health