[ RadSafe ] Fwd: Insulin Pumps and X-rays

Dewolfe, James James.Dewolfe at childrenscolorado.org
Mon Dec 12 13:22:06 CST 2016

Thanks to everyone for feedback.

It seems like an exceedingly bad idea to start applying "abundance of caution" (basically ALARA) to medical devices. I do hope they have more evidence for this than a reported failure during a radiation therapy at doses likely 1000 times higher than would be seen from scattered radiation from diagnostic x-ray and nuclear medicine patients. Logic would dictate that if the manufacturer is warning that their device could fail from radiation levels permissible to the general public and encountered in everyday situations, then they are basically saying the device is unsafe for general use. I would think regulatory bodies (In Colorado, it's the US FDA) should require the manufacturer to determine a safety level rather than permitting these unquantified warnings.

James DeWolfe