[ RadSafe ] Reference for the word 'shake' ...and other sneaky Manhattan project words

Ed Waller ed.waller at xplornet.com
Thu Feb 4 15:08:52 CST 2016


As part of some writing I am doing, I am trying to find origins of terms
used in the nuclear field that are somewhat obscure.

I have a reference for 'barn' (Note on the origin of the term "barn",
Holloway and Baker, LAMS-623, 1947)
[aside: Also, I have found some anecdotal evidence for a millibarm being a
'skilodge' and a microbarn being an 'outhouse', but no reference. I have
also seen a reference to 1E-48 cm2 being a 'shed', but again no reference.]

However, some other terms, such as 'shake', I am having a harder time
finding a proper reference. Google has revealed lots of usage, and some
secondary and tertiary referencing, but I cannot believe there is not a
primary reference somewhere for this, and other terms like this.

If anyone could help, I would be most appreciative. 

Best regards,

More information about the RadSafe mailing list