[ RadSafe ] Apparently large amount of Radon in Natural Gas Release near Los Angeles

jjshonka at shonka.com jjshonka at shonka.com
Tue Jan 12 12:36:56 CST 2016

Joe

I may stand corrected, but I think that any radon in the natural gas from the wellhead when produced decays when shipped and stored.  The fact that measurable radon is present seems to indicate that the storage is not lined in any way, and the natural gas is in contact with the surrounding earth.  I think the storage reservoir has lost its integrity and the natural gas, along with radon, is seeping from the ground.  This is why there is no easy, fast solution.  As you noted, a simple pipe leak would be easily sealed.  When you build a basement, radon levels are higher than in outside air.  If you have an underground cavity, sealed well enough to store natural gas under pressure, all of the radon emanating from the earth surrounding the natural gas will reach some equilibrium in the natural gas.  That is my guess as to what they are seeing.

Joe

Sent from Windows Mail